SharePoint: Easy way to download or copy list attachments to document library
I didn’t find a complete solution when I googled this, so I am writing down the steps how to get SharePoint list attachments copied to a document library (or in general, just get the list attachments to a local folder).
Business problem: A SharePoint user (not a developer) wants to take attachments collected in a list and store them in a local folder or upload them to a document library:
- In Windows Explorer, go to My Network Places > Add Network Place
- In the “Add Network Place” Wizard, click next and select “Choose another network location”, click next
- Type in the url of the Sharepoint site that contains the list (I assume you have admin rights on that sharepoint site), e.g., http://intranetname/topics/projects/sitename
- Click on your newly created network location in Windows Explorer. This should give you a folder view of your SharePoint site.
- Select the folder “Lists” > and find your list name. Within your list folder there will be an attachments folder.
- You will notice that the attachments for each list item are stored in individual folders (we will remedy that in a second).
- Copy all folders to your local drive in an empty folder like attachtemp.
- To get the folders out of their subfolders, simply do a search for all the file types you have in them (in my case I was simply looking for *.doc*). The search will list all the found files in a flat view. Now you can copy them out of your search window to where you need them. Since I wanted to upload them to another SharePoint library, I simply copied them into the root of attachtemp.
- Go to your target SharePoint library and upload all files (Note: If you have hundreds of documents, make sure to temporarily disable “require file check-out” so that you don’t have all files checked out to you after uploading. Once done, set the library back to require check-out if applicable.
- Done, yeah!