I have read through too many forums and blogs to find a solution for this error, and eventually found this Microsoft KB article that solved my issue with a simple fix. Maybe posting a link to the KB article will help surface this simple solution a little more.
Issue: When a user uses a locale other than English (United States), the DateFormat function no longer works properly in a dataview webpart.
The Fix: Use the DataFormWebPart with the following property set to false on the <SPDataSource> tag: UseServerDataFormat.
This is suggested by the Microsoft KB Article 2580994 “XsltListViewWebPart and ddwrt:DateTime limitations” (solution #3).
If you have a list with let’s say 20 FAQ, and you want to manually order the FAQ questions, there is no built-in option in SharePoint to do so. The only list that has a link to reorder list items is the out-of-box links list. I stumbled across this article that explains that you can actually reorder any list, by going to the following url:
When you create a new page in a WSS-based environment and you want to work with mostly out-of-box functionality, there is no way to add a web part page that includes the Quick Launch menu. An easy way to accomplish this is to copy and rename default.aspx in the site root using Windows Explorer. Just go to a document library and select Open in Windows Explorer in the Actions menu, then go up to the root level. Found this very useful tip at:
To remove the ActiveX install request on a public facing website or an intranet site that does not use presence information, I followed the following (really old, but hey it worked!) blog post. It involves adding a custom js file to the master page:
I didn’t find a complete solution when I googled this, so I am writing down the steps how to get SharePoint list attachments copied to a document library (or in general, just get the list attachments to a local folder).
Business problem: A SharePoint user (not a developer) wants to take attachments collected in a list and store them in a local folder or upload them to a document library:
- In Windows Explorer, go to My Network Places > Add Network Place
- In the “Add Network Place” Wizard, click next and select “Choose another network location”, click next
- Type in the url of the Sharepoint site that contains the list (I assume you have admin rights on that sharepoint site), e.g., http://intranetname/topics/projects/sitename
- Click on your newly created network location in Windows Explorer. This should give you a folder view of your SharePoint site.
- Select the folder “Lists” > and find your list name. Within your list folder there will be an attachments folder.
- You will notice that the attachments for each list item are stored in individual folders (we will remedy that in a second).
- Copy all folders to your local drive in an empty folder like attachtemp.
- To get the folders out of their subfolders, simply do a search for all the file types you have in them (in my case I was simply looking for *.doc*). The search will list all the found files in a flat view. Now you can copy them out of your search window to where you need them. Since I wanted to upload them to another SharePoint library, I simply copied them into the root of attachtemp.
- Go to your target SharePoint library and upload all files (Note: If you have hundreds of documents, make sure to temporarily disable “require file check-out” so that you don’t have all files checked out to you after uploading. Once done, set the library back to require check-out if applicable.
- Done, yeah!
I needed a diff tool to compare text files on my Mac, and it turned out to be a time-consuming endeavor to find a basic free diff tool. One option is to install the Mac developer toolkit Xtools, but if all you need is the diff tool, why would you want to install 750MB worth of other tools you’ll never use. Plus, first you have to sign up for a free developer account, and if you are not on the latest Mac OS version, good luck figuring out how to find the Xtools version that works with your OS. I downloaded Xtools only to realize that I wasn’t able to install it afterwards because I am still on Leopard (10.5). I then looked again for free tools and found an app called mend which I couldn’t figure out how to download from the site, plus it needed Fink installed first (so I got stuck again…).
I was successful with my next try. And the winner is: Kdiff3 (Kdiff3.sourceforge.net)! Simply downloaded it and double-clicked the app file. Took me nothing but 3 minutes. Nice.
I recently installed CamelcityContent (v.2.3) to give authors and editors the option to view their unpublished articles from the frontend. However, the user name doesn’t show up in the user column. I updated the code as follows to display the name of the article author.
in file models/all.php:
change the following lines in function _buildQuery():
cc.title as categorytitle
FROM #__content AS a
cc.title as categorytitle,
u.name as username
FROM #__content AS a
in file views/all/tmpl/default.php
echo “<td>”.$l->created_by_user.” </td>”;
echo “<td>”.$l->username.” </td>”;